Cover for Now You See It... Now You Still See It

Author: Bob Kruger

Genre: Writing

Age Range: General - Teen to Adult

Word Count: 339

Draft #1

Unique Downloads: 8

Synopsis:

Forget "show versus tell." The more general rule is make the readers think they've seen.

This project is visible to: Everyone

Project Files for Download:
If you have trouble downloading files, try a different browser.

You must sign up and log in to access project files.

Weighted Community Rating:
Selected Draft Rating
4.38 / Confidence: 26 (Reviews: 4; Review Confidence: 21; Ditto Confidence: 5)

2.89 Heft

The rating of purchased reviews is not applied to the overall rating and Heft until those reviews are verified. All other review ratings apply as soon as they're posted.

By Harold Gross on 4/29/2014 — Confidence 5 at review time

I love the allusion to writing as a magic trick. Just listing a bunch of sensory information is a shopping list, not creating something in the reader's mind. Patter in magic is all about misdirection and creating illusion (not to mention allusion). The danger is being too ham handed or personally specific when applying these ideas and either hammering a dead, visual horse or losing the reader entirely. But, when done well, magic is what we do! 

Ditto Review  
Total Dittoes: 0
Total Ditto Confidence: 0

Verified
By Frederick D.S. Marshall on 4/24/2014 — Confidence 5 at review time

I'm always partial to structures that begin with what we all think we know, but then push through to the deeper lessons, to previously overlooked principles. These principles are illustrated through clever techniques that can be used to do justice to them, but I also like that they do double duty - they are both educational and biographical, because they also tell us about Lucius. Nicely done, Bob.

Ditto Review  
Total Dittoes: 1
Total Ditto Confidence: 5
Details

Verified
By Arinn Dembo on 4/24/2014 — Confidence 6 at review time

Interesting points. And nice to see some of Lucius Shepard's writing advice codified in a simple, straight-forward way, with examples.

Ditto Review  

Verified
By Scott Johnson on 4/24/2014 — Confidence 5 at review time

This is excellent advice. I'll have to read more of his work.

Okay, I just tried to submit the review with the two sentences above, but an "error message" appeared that told me to "write a review longer than 100 words, dickhead". Okay, maybe the dickhead wasn't there...

Ditto Review  

Verified