Cover for Think Three Times Before You Self-Publish Your Ebook

Author: Tony Daniel

Genre: Writing

Age Range: General - Teen to Adult

Word Count: 652

Draft #3

Unique Downloads: 7

Synopsis:

An argument by a writer and editor that self-publishing is not merely a waste of time, but is actively disadvantageous to a writer and the writer's work.

This project is visible to: Everyone

Project Files for Download:
If you have trouble downloading files, try a different browser.

You must sign up and log in to access project files.

Weighted Community Rating:
Selected Draft Rating
4.00 / Confidence: 15 (Reviews: 3; Review Confidence: 15; Ditto Confidence: 0)

2.70 Heft
Project Rating
4.00 / Confidence: 15

2.70 Heft across all drafts

The rating of purchased reviews is not applied to the overall rating and Heft until those reviews are verified. All other review ratings apply as soon as they're posted.

By Harold Gross on 4/29/2014 — Confidence 5 at review time

Getting the insider's view is enlightening. And Tony is balanced and honest. I'm not sure I agree about the revolution. I think it is moving forward more than as a distraction awaiting the established publishing to catch up. My day job industry (tech writing) has already shifted to more social networking with some curation. Younger readers love the freedom and discovery of WattApp and similar approaches. I don't disagree that the established industry puts out higher quality (for which I think there will always be a market), but I am sadly coming to realize that under-30s don't seem to care about quality in the same way. There attention is ephemeral and so they gloss over imperfections to extract the idea. 

Seems best to hedge with a combination of traditional and self-pub (especially to bring back back catalog) and see where things go over the next 3 years. I don't think we'll have to wait much longer to see which way the wind is blowing. 

Ditto Review  
Total Dittoes: 0
Total Ditto Confidence: 0

Unverified
By Trent Walters on 3/30/2014 — Confidence 5 at review time

As an industry insider, Daniel's words give me pause.

The self-publishing industry intrigues me now as it never had before. The cost threshold has lowered. Writers like Smith and Rusch proclaim it, and some writers make a living off it.  It might help to examine specific claims and debunk them. Or examine success stories and put them in light of others.

Ditto Review  

Unverified
By Bob Kruger on 10/19/2013 — Confidence 5 at review time

It's a sound thesis, and well presented. Of course, I hope things will change enough to render it a curious artifact someday soon.

Ditto Review  

Unverified